The Entomological Society of Canada represents one of the biggest and oldest societies in whole Canada. This entomological society focuses on professional work with insects and other vermin species. It was founded in Toronto on April 16, 1863 and offered students as well as lovers and enthusiasts of entomology a wide range of knowledge – and free access to the whole collection of information about entomology. The society’s very first officers were Prof. H. Croft who was the President, W. Saunders, also known as Secretary Treasurer and Rev. J. Hubbert, Curator.
In the course of time the Entomological Society of Canada increasingly gained popularity as interested collectors, students, researchers and entomological scientists presented their individual acquisitions at meetings and official conventions. What was the focus of those meetings? Strictly speaking, within these meetings interested people had the possibility to discuss the natural history, the general life as well as the way of living, the habitat and the physiology of their favorite species, vermin and insects. Moreover, these people worked as real researchers: They exchanged specimens, described and named new insects which have not been known until this point of time. In other words it can be said that the organization, strictly speaking the Entomological Society of Canada, started to flourish and gained more and more degree of respect and esteem as students, researchers and lovers of insects, species and vermin started outstanding and remarkable museum collections of Canadian insects.
The Entomological Society of Canada achieved legal status in 1871 and was involved in a new section of the so-called Agricultural Arts Act. From this point of time on the society was known under “The Entomological Society of Ontario”. And the wave of success went on when the society moved its headquarters to London, Ontario in 1873. Later, strictly speaking thirteen years later, the entomological society established its headquarters in Guelph, Ontario.
Furthermore it has to be mentioned that the Entomological Society of Ontario did not maintain its former structure – quite the contrary. On November 3, 1950 the Entomological Society of Canada, as it is known, popular and famous today, was founded by a number of members who belonged to the former The Entomological Society of Ontario. Because of this new foundation and reestablishment the members and founding officers of the society decided to move the headquarters once again – strictly speaking to Ottawa, which is the capital of Canada as well as the largest city within the province of Ontario. The founding officers of the Entomological Society of Canada, as it is known these days, were W.A. Ross who was the President, A.W. Baker, Vice President, W.R. Thompson, Editor, R.H. Wigmore, Secretary, A.B. Baird, Treasurer and seven further Directors.
The Entomological Society of Canada contains hundreds of entomologists, researchers, students and entomologic scientists from all parts of Canada and different countries around the whole world. Strictly speaking the society works and operates in terms of a so-called dynamic force concentrating on promoting research and sharing knowledge of insects, species and vermin. It always tries to encourage the continued participation and work of all interested researchers, students and scientists of entomology.